Cosmo magazine was first published by Schlicht & Field, and its first publication was in 1886. It is undoubtedly the best, as will be revealed to you shortly. It has quite a history behind it and the history, in part, lends a hand to its exalted state in the world of magazines. It is a monthly publication focusing on women.
Before delving into the uniqueness of this magazine and the various features that make it the best compared to other magazines, let us take a journey back in time to learn how Cosmo Magazine started its journey to fame and affluence.
A Little Cosmo History
The words of the first publisher of the magazine seemed to have turned the tide in its favor right from the onset. Shortly after the first issue was published in 1886, Paul Schlicht declared to the world that his publication was a “first class family magazine.” This declaration seems to have percolated to the present day editions of the magazine, which has enjoyed impressive popularity and maintained outstanding quality.
Its initial name was The Cosmopolitan, and it is published by Hearst Corporation. Its first publication hit the newsstand in 1886, making it one of the oldest monthly magazines still around today. Initially, the Cosmopolitan started as a family magazine. At a later date, it was presented as a literary magazine. Then later, in 1965, it became a women’s magazine, and it had been till date.
The magazine covers various stories related to beauty, fashion, celebrities, self-improvement, careers, health, sex and relationships.
Paul Schlicht transferred ownership to John Brisben Walker, who bought the company in 1889. This new owner drew attention to the magazine by dispatching Elizabeth Bisland to race against Neille Bly around the world. Lots of transformations came on in this magazine under his ownership.
The publisher attempted to create a spinoff, christened CosmoGirl, in 1999, but it did not receive the same measure of success that accompanied Cosmo Magazine. Consequently, they had to shut it down in 2008; this spinoff was targeted at teenage females.
But, why is Cosmo the best magazine?
As hinted earlier, its age long history contributes to its uniqueness. However, its special place is not just due to its age; the magazine equally has several features that make it the best around. Some of these features are highlighted below:
• The magazine is being distributed in over 100 countries today; no other magazine can boast of similar reach.
• Cosmo Magazine is available in 35 different languages, both the major and many of the minor languages, covering virtually all continents on earth.
• As at today, the magazine has up to 64 international editions; there is rarely any other magazine that has measured up to that till date.
• Cosmo Magazine covers a wide range of subjects, and it contains information that has proved to be beneficial to all; though it is supposed to be a women’s magazine, many men have testified to its rich and beneficial contents.
• The magazine has featured more celebrities than virtually any other magazine in the United States, some of which are Megan Fox, Kate Upton, Taylor Swift, Kelly Rowland and many others.
• Today, it is the largest selling young women’s magazine on a global scale.
What makes it tick?
One of the factors that make Cosmo Magazine irresistible to readers is its excellent cover page, aside from its rich contents. In recent times, the cover page has become increasingly sexually intriguing, which has increased its popularity among various classes of readers. Virtually all the editions released in recent times bear pictures of popular celebrities showing off their classy fashion tastes.
In one of its sections, titled “Ask Him, Anything,” a male contributor would provide answers to questions being asked by the largely female readers. The purpose of this section is to teach the women cycle about the compelling and intriguing world of men. As at today, more than 3 million individuals are subscribed to Cosmopolitan Magazine.
Awards from Cosmo Magazine
As part of its desire to give back to the general public, the Cosmo Magazine has been giving awards to its readers and subscribers, a development that does not cut out members of the general public. Some of these awards will be highlighted below:
• Bachelor of the Year Award: The award targets hottest bachelors across the 50 states in the United States, and it goes to just one of them. The winner of the award is determined by members of the public, who are asked to vote on the various pictures and profiles of the bachelors posted on www.cosmopolitan.com. Six profiles with the highest number of votes will pass the first stage, and a winner is selected among the six finalists by a team of Cosmopolitan editors.
• Fun, Fearless Female of the Year: The award started in 1998, and it has reached a crescendo today, giving an assurance of better things to come. The last edition took place in 2016.
• Fun, Fearless Male of the Year: This is usually featured in the February edition of the magazine. The award started in 2003, and the last edition was held in 2017.
• Cosmo Blog Award: The award is given by Cosmo Magazine, and it was first launched in the UK. Over 15,000 entries were recorded in 2010 when the award was first launched. The blogs that qualify to participate in this are those related to lifestyle, celebrity, fashion, and beauty. Be that as it may, the award is only available in London; entry is also welcome from blogs written by bloggers based in the UK and blogs owned by bloggers who are British but reside outside the UK
Cosmopolitan, The Fragrance
The company unveiled its perfume brand, The Fragrance, in May 2015. It turns out to be an impressive perfume; this makes them the only tabloid offering such product
Furthermore, Cosmo Magazine has launched several campaigns, and they also sponsor several TV programs; principal among this is the Practice Safe Sun, which is a campaign focused on the fight against skin cancer. The magazine authorities equally met with Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney during which they complained of women misrepresentation and the need to further promote women’s health via advocacy against the risks of tanning.
Undoubtedly, Cosmo Magazine has reached a pinnacle envied by several other magazines, and it looks strong enough to maintain and increase its successes. From the points mentioned above, there is no doubt that the magazine is simply the best globally.